Role of the City Manager
Administration for the City of Larned is directed by the City Manager. As the chief executive officer of the organization, the City Manager is responsible for the daily management of the city’s operations and affairs. The city manager is hired by the governing body to serve the community and bring the benefit of his or her education, training, and experience in managing local government organizations, projects, and programs.
City Manager Duties
The City Manager is responsible for all city employees. Responsibilities include supervision of all city departments, projects, programs, and ensuring service delivery to the public. The City Manager is also accountable for the city’s finances, including presenting an annual budget for city council approval.
The city manager:
- Fulfills a leadership role in the community as a means of advancing the interests of the city
- Implements and enforces the policies established by the elected officials
- Prepares a budget for the city council’s consideration
- Recruits, hires, disciplines, and fires employees
- Serves as the city council’s chief adviser and carries out the city council’s policies
- Supervises all of the city’s departments and employees